MOVING TIPS (part 2 of 2)
|ONE WEEK BEFORE:
- Talk to your pharmacist about transferring important medical prescriptions.
- Arrange for a babysitter on moving day.
- Return library books and DVDs.
|TWO TO THREE DAYS PRIOR:
- Defrost your refrigerator and freezer.
- Have movers pack your belongings.
- Label each box with the contents and the room where you want it to be delivered.
- Arrange to have payment ready for moving company.
- Set aside legal documents and valuables that you do not want packed.
- Pack clothing and toiletries, along with extra clothes in case the moving company is delayed.
- Give your travel itinerary to a close friend or relative so they can reach you as needed.
- Pick up the truck as early as possible if you are moving yourself.
- Make a list of every item and box loaded on the truck.
- Let the mover know how to reach you.
- Double-check closets, cupboards, attic, basement and garage for any left behind items.
- Be on hand at the new home to answer questions and give instructions to the mover.
- Check off boxes and items as they come off the truck.
- Install new locks.
- Confirm that the utilities have been turned on and are ready for use.
- Unpack your "first day" box (see below for suggested contents).
- Unpack children's toys and find a safe place for them to play.
- Examine your goods for damage